Monday, August 15, 2011

Why aren’t you satisfied with your own lands? 13-year-old girl from Karabakh wrote letter to President of Azerbaijan

STEPANAKERT. - Today Nagorno-Karabakh is inhabited either by participants of the Karabakh war, the elder generation, or by their descendants, who have inherited the same fervent blood that brought the nation to the victory twenty years ago. On August 8, 2011 a 13-year-old girl from Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR) Adeline Avakimyan wrote a letter to the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev.
The letter was also sent to Azerbaijani mass media but none of them dared to publish it.
Armenian News-NEWS.am presents unofficial translation of the full text of the letter.
“Mr. President,
My name is Adeline Avakimyan, I am a schoolgirl from Karabakh. I did not tell anybody about my intention to write to you. I have been thinking, should I write or should I not? Eventually I decided to write.
I was born and currently live in Stepanakert. I love my country because Karabakh is my homeland, I was born and I live here, my father and mother were born here, so were my grandfathers and grandmothers. Their grandmothers and grandfathers were also born here (perhaps you know that in the past, when our country was one of the provinces of Armenia, it was called Artsakh). I have a lot of friends and they also love our country… But that is not actually the point of my letter.
Just like many others, I also have problems, which I try to solve to the best of my abilities. When I have free time, I think about many things: about human life, about happiness, about my relatives living far away from me, about their country, which is different from ours. At nights I gaze upon the stars and think, whether there are people living on those far away planets. My grandpa says that in his childhood he also used to look on the starry sky and think about same things. Sometimes I think about people surrounding me, of those who have seen more grief than happiness. I really want everybody to live happily and never have any problems.
Mr. President, every time I watch TV, I read or listen to the stories of elders I get surprised: all the time you speak about Karabakh and war as if you have nothing else to think of. It seems you do not have any other problems or goals and no other issue actually troubles you.
I never saw an Azerbaijani. I do not think about you, about your country and neither do my parents. I do not really understand what you want from our country. I know that you have never been to Artsakh, you have never seen our Gandzasar, Dadivank, Amaras but you always think about capturing our country. Why can’t you be satisfied with your own lands? Why do you want Karabakh? Grandpa told me that before the war, even 50 or 100 years ago, when Azerbaijanis still lived here, they did not bury their deceased here, they took them to Azerbaijan, because people knew that this is not their motherland. That is why we have so few Azerbaijani cemeteries.
My father is a veteran of Karabakh war. I have not seen the war, but I learned from the stories of elders that it is something bad and terrible and I would never like to see it. I am sure that not a single Azerbaijani child would like to see war either. But adults always say that in case of war they will defend their country again. One of my peer friends said that if they do not allow him take arms, he will help the adults to protect our country like French Gavroche did. I will also help my parents as much as I can…
I have heard many stories of how it all happened. Our people went to a peaceful meeting and said that they want Artsakh to join Mother-Armenia, because Azerbaijan is not our country and 70 years ago a chief called Stalin gave our country to Azerbaijan on purpose. In response, your countrymen started killing Armenians in Sumgait, Kirovabad, Baku and other cities, driving them out of their homes. However that did not satisfy your father and he went to war against Artsakh but lost it, although he had much more soldiers and tanks.
I asked my parents, how come he lost being so strong and they said that we were defending our land, whereas Azerbaijanis attacked to capture it, take away our lives and liberty…
If you start new war, whole Armenian nation will rise to defend our land. But tell me, will your children, your relatives participate in this war? You will send ordinary Azerbaijani youth against us. I know that in case of war many of us might die, including women and children, many children might become orphans but many Azerbaijani youngsters will die as well and their children will also be orphans. Do you want this? Is this the reason why you think about war and Karabakh every day?
Why do you always buy guns? You could have used that money to build an easy and happy life for your people (especially those who became refugees after your father started the war). Isn’t it better than sending people to war?
I really want that you respond to my letter and tell me why you want to take my homeland, which does not belong to you. Why aren’t you satisfied with your own lands?
Adeline Avakimyan,
NKR, Stepanakert.
10.08.11

No comments:

Post a Comment